Click above to send a follow request - I almost always accept.

Wednesday 15 June 2011

My Take On The Doctor Who Scheduling News

The recent news that "there will not be a full series shown in 2012" has prompted the most doom-laden reaction from fans online. I'm thinking positively about this news and hey, if I'm wrong, it hardly matters - it's only a tv show. 

So on Twitter earlier, in a series of open tweets, I set out what I THINK may be happening. It doesn't matter if you don't agree. I'm writing this primarily for myself, so I have a link to pass out to those who enter into a never-ending debate over this with me - a debate I don't want to take part in anymore. My timeline is full of "Doctor Who Is Finished!!" type negativity and it's now boring. So, in response to ALL who want to discuss it, this is all I have to say:

The following was posted on Twitter by me on 15 June:

@gabundy: The way I see it,  series 6 was split, shown in Spring and Autumn. So it would finish around November 2011...
It would make sense, then, for the normal wait of a tv year to happen between the end of S6 and the beginning of S7...
Which would see S7 starting in Nov(ish) 2012. Not long enough to squeeze a whole series in before the end of the year...
So those 14 eps (with a Xmas Special in the MIDDLE of the run) would hang over into 2013. Which is what we've been told... 
That doesn't mean we have a shortened run at all! Simply a later series, not even later if think in terms of "time between series"...
Which would then mean, if S7 were to end early 2013, and the 50th Anniversary in in NOV 2013, then there would be a SHORTER wait for any planned "specials" to celebrate that, or even (as I suspect) another full series. I don't see what all the fuss is about. x

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. But until we know for sure, that's my position. Now can we talk about something else please? This is getting really dull.