Click above to send a follow request - I almost always accept.

Sunday 24 February 2013

Derek

Ricky Gervais's most recent creation, Derek, has inevitably divided opinion - some think it's offensive to people with learning difficulties or disabilities, others think it is a sweet and harmless portrayal of a character we don't usually get to see the likes of. I think I'm in the latter camp. In a nutshell the show is this: a totally kind and selfless - yet odd - man works at a care home for the elderly. That's it. There's no making fun or being derogatory to anyone with disabilities at all, as far as I can tell.

The supporting cast are spectacular (most notably, a surprisingly good turn by Karl Pilkington as the home's put-upon yet happy-to-help and totally no-nonsense handyman Douggie.The show is warm, cheeky, usually funny and always a little sad. It's lovely. I'm enjoying it very much. Last one next week, so you can catch up on 4OD now!