Click above to send a follow request - I almost always accept.

Tuesday 12 July 2011

The News Of The World Is No More

So that's that! No more News Of The World! And I don't think I'm alone in my relief and happiness. Allegations of phone hacking, including the phones of murdered children, terrorism victims and the royal family, have been all the news there is for the last two weeks. And I don't think the story is going anywhere any time soon. In fact, I believe there is a lot more to come out about all this. More and more information is seeping out by the hour - now there are potentially thousands of people who may have been hacked including the Queen and former PM Gordon Brown. 

And it's no longer isolated to the journalists at News Of The World anymore. Now the Times and the Sun, both Murdoch papers, are known to have "blagged" and hacked their way to exclusives as long ago as three years back. It's a sad time for the British press. But it could also be a great time. This scandal has shaken the inevitability of a Murdoch takeover at BSkyB - the whole sordid affair has now been referred to the Competitions Commission - so maybe there could be a silver lining after all. But who knows. There's a lot more to know before this "settles down" at all. I am, once again, glued to rolling news channels. Watch this space.