Click above to send a follow request - I almost always accept.

Tuesday 22 February 2011

Silk (BBC) - It's Missing Something...

Despite a killer, if predictable, cast and a promising online blurb there was something missing from the BBC's new legal drama, Silk. It looks like political-soap-drama Party Animals, feels like it, too and is about as predictable as it is acceptable to be without it being utter shit. 

It was a lacklustre beginning to a series that slipped right under my radar until today, but I think it's the sort of series that needs a week or two to settle in.

Trouble is, it's only a six-part series, so it needs to up its game very soon! It's not the best show I've ever seen, but it's not fair to say it was the worst. I watched it, but with a book in my hands. It's so flat I was able to read a book and follow this show at the same time. Following the life of generically-named Martha Costello, the series is described on the BBC's site as a series about "life at the Bar, the dilemmas and problems that modern day barristers have to face, and what it means to become a Silk", it really is as bland as it sounds. But the wonderful Maxine Peake carries the show and makes you want to keep watching, albeit with just the one eye on the screen.

Also, it seems there's a few little sub-plot irons in the fire that may turn out to be something a little bit more entertaining than the story-of-the-week proper. Maybe these cardboard characters in this cartoon court will grow on me. I'm hoping so, anyway. If you like legal dramas you'll be disappointed. If you like daytime soaps then this may be right up your street.