Click above to send a follow request - I almost always accept.

Wednesday 25 August 2010

State Of Play (BBC)

Recently, due to a terrifyingly sudden change of circumstance, I've had very busy days and incredibly lonely evenings. So I decided to dust off my old second-hand State Of Play DVD and treat myself to a "Watch With Mother" screening (that's when I pick something I think my Mother would like and make her watch it, obviously). 

It was the fifth viewing for me, but the first for her. And I have to say, we both thoroughly enjoyed it - me, just as much as I did when I watched it the very first time. Maybe even more than I did the first time. 

If you haven't seen it then, in a nutshell, here's what it's all about: "Stephen Collins is an ambitious politician. Cal McAffrey is a well-respected investigative journalist and Stephen's ex-campaign manager. En rout to work one morning, Stephen's research assistant mysteriously falls to hear death on the London Underground. It's not long before revelations of their affair hit the headlines."

Meanwhile, a suspected teenage drug dealer is found shot dead. These (apparently unconnected) events expose a dangerous habit within modern government of dancing too closely with the corporate devil. Friendships are tested and lives are put on the line as an intricate web of lies unfolds... leading to a blisteringly good conclusion. I urge you to buy it NOW! 

You can get it really cheap on Play.com, it's well worth the cash. And if you're breathing normally when the final blow lands (about 10 minutes from the end of episode six) then I'm afraid we can no longer be friends.